Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Ethnographic Fieldnotes

Jottings
  • Everyone was confused about what to talk about
  • most did not see the point of the activity- awkward
  • I heard Silvia talking to Carolina about her job as a prek teacher
  • I started up a conversation with Bree who asked if I was a prek teacher. I told her it was Silvia but that I was studying to be a teacher
  •   Bree used to run a daycare and never wants to be around children ever again. She is an English major.
  •     I talked briefly in one group but moved to another bc I knew Silvia in it
  •  I then went to talk to another group but they weren’t really talking
  •   I asked a girl if she came from work bc of her formal attire. She did. She works a kay jewelry. I asked her questions about engagement rings. She was excited about the subject.
  • I started to talking to Julissa and Danielle who had already started a conversation. I noticed Julissa was wearing a name tag. She works at Wegmans.
  • I overheard Julissa and Danielle talking about her being a teacher. I inserted myself into the conversation.  

Headnotes
  • At first there were 4 groups formed (front of the class, middle, and back)


Things I remembered later
  • conversations were not loud
  • random laughs
  • I was standing in the middle. 
  • people would constantly stop talking and look around to see what everyone else was doing.


Observations about what happened.
  • People stayed within steps of where they ended up originally in the walkway
  • Some people were talking but many  people were just watching or listening 
  • Groups were not moving so the professor then asked us to move around. Without her instructions, people would not have moved. 
  • Everyone was self aware since we knew that everyone was observing one another

No comments:

Post a Comment