Monday, December 16, 2013

Blog #20 - Revised Methods


Methods
            To begin this study I decided to conduct my research through a series of interviews on current teachers at an urban school in New Jersey. I had access to a school where I was currently completing my junior field experience. I decided that two interviews would be sufficient for the length and time frame allotted for this project. The school has a total of forty-four teachers, most of which I had not had one on one interaction with. Therefore, I requested the opinion of my cooperating teacher in suggesting two teachers who she thought might be willing and able to sit down with me for the interviews. She suggested two teachers; a third grade teacher and a fifth grade teacher. I approached each teacher in person, introduced myself, and introduced the research study. I gave each teacher a copy of the interview questions for them to read before deciding if they wanted to participate. After reviewing the questions, each participant agreed to partake in the study. Meetings were scheduled at mutually convenient times. The questions were designed escalate from easy to medium to more intense/open ended. I wanted to start with easy and medium type questions to open the discussion, so these sections only had four questions each. The more intense and open-ended questions had a total of sixteen questions and were the main basis of the interviews. The first interview was with participant A, a fifth grade teacher, with thirteen years of teaching experience. This interview took a total of twenty-nine minutes and fifty-two seconds. The second interview was with participant B, a third grade teacher, with seventeen years of teaching experience. This interview took a total of sixteen minutes and forty seconds. Both interviews were recorded and transcribed at a later time.  Once the data was transcribed, I analyze it to decode the information into categories. These categories were influenced by Nancy Sommers’ research on the best strategies to use by teachers when commenting on student papers. In some instances, I applied the categories from the data as I analyze it further and found supporting evidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment