Monday, December 16, 2013

Blog #21- Set categories with suporting data


1.     Offer one lesson at a time/Purpose of comments
a.     now we’re focusing on the introduction, that’s our main goal. Forget about everything else, well not forget about everything else but that’s our main to make that introduction something that people want to read… if my focus is introduction then I’ll read over the introduction and give them positive and definite feedback on that and then rest of the paper we will focus on another time…. I am going to give them feedback specifically because we take the paper in parts
b.     Well usually we focus, we pick one of the focus areas in the rubric, i might focus on their opening and closing and really focus and grade them more on that than everything like their punctuation and spelling. So like today we’re going to focus on creating exciting beginnings. I’ll really be looking at how they started their essay… It would be like the mini lessons. If we’re learning how to use quotation marks that week maybe I’ll specifically be looking at their use of quotation marks correctly. So i try to focus on one area.
2.     Use of margin comments
a.     B- this is all on a separate piece of paper and I would be writing it as we were going over it. And then the areas to improve, the 1st thing, because its so hard for them to do revisions, you know, they know the editing to look for punctuation and spelling, so I might prompt some questions to like, if it was part of a story of when they went to school, I might ask them, what happened before I went to school? Or how did you get there? Give them a specific target question to kinda get them to add more detail. And then I would have them, after I had them work on a couple of aread I’d want them to improve, maybe I might say, add more detail on your last paragraph or the ending, write a better closing, or change good and find a better vocabulary word, like I’ll give them specific things to do.
b.     A- students write their own comments as the conference happens.
3.     Varied styles of commenting
a.     Conferences
                                               i.     A we have conferences, when we start writing they will write their rough draft and we will conference. We will talk about their writing,
                                              ii.     B When we’re working on a writing piece, after we’re done with the 1st draft, I would conference with them, and on a piece of paper I would write their strengths and then the areas that they’d have to work on for revisions.
b.     Own notes
                                               i.     A during the conference, I comment to them verbally, I don’t write anything down.
c.      Solid plan
                                               i.     A from there then they go on their own and do their final copy,
                                              ii.     B they are reading to me and then they will go back to their seat with their essay and their revision paper I gave them with their strenghts and then they could work  on that and we would kind of meet again.
d.     Peer comments
                                               i.     B once we have gotten through lots of conferencing with me, so maybe towards March or April, then yeah, I kind of have them confrence with each other. Or sometimes, I’ve even taken the better writers and have them confrence with another student and make suggestions, so its cute, I would model what we do, like what I do with them and then you do it now with your classmates.

4.     Resist Urge
a.     Anything they think is, you know, repetitive or any grammatical errors that they have or you know if something doesn’t sound right or if a period is missing in a place… I’ve had students start reading and they’re like, that doesn’t make any sense, and I look at them and say, if that doesn’t make sense and you’re reading it imagine how I am reading it. What it sound like when I am the one  who is reading what you wrote that makes no sense. Its funny. It’s a great way to have them catch themselves. they edit everything, they can add everything they want, I don’t touch anything on the paper, I don’t do anything, on the rough draft. I tell them, pretend you’re me and edit this paper.
5.     Rubric
a.     I have a rubric, a writing rubric that I can give you a copy of, its very specific and then you average out the grade. The numbers and you give them a score. I also have a student rubric that they created. And I have them grade their work. A couple ago we got together, the students, and I told them that we needed to create a classroom rubric that they could use on their work. It’s a guidline so they can, because something I can say something until I’m green in the face, it doesn’t matter, they have to do it, they have to know, they have to take ownership of their work.
b.     So for the final, it would be attached to the rubric and then on the rubric they would see, what score they got.

No comments:

Post a Comment